Across the Decades Exhibition
On 25th November 2016, the Exhibition to mark 60 years of the formation and achievements of DWICA was launched. This was the culmination of over a year of planning, gathering, sieving, collating and even disseminating a large amount of artefacts, material and information.
The launch was attended by civic dignitaries, a Member of Parliament, DWICA membership and members of other voluntary and community organisations. This included:
- The Deputy Mayor of Derby City Council, Councillor John Whitby
- The Rt Hon Dame Margaret Beckett MP
- Derbyshire Police and Crime Commissioner, Mr Hardyal Dhindsa
- Derby City Councillors Balbir Sandhu, Roy Webb, Janghir Khan, Dom Anderson and Gulfraz Nawaz
- Mr Arif Ali and Ansel Wong from Hansib Publications
- Various partner organisation representatives from Déda, Artcore UK, Hamaari (Voice of East-Africa), Ukrainian Association and others.
We also had the pleasure of welcoming Mr Ben Cunningham, the Chairman of the Jamaican Diaspora UK.
It was a very pleasant afternoon as guests viewed the Exhibition and networked, tasting food from across the Caribbean.
Thanks to the Heritage Lottery and Big Lottery Celebrate who provided funds for the research work, the Standing Exhibition and celebrations which enabled people from the community to view the Exhibition for two weeks.