Youth club is a two hour weekly activity aimed at children and young people between the ages of 8-16. The programme includes participants to take part in the Arts Awards (BRONZE up to GOLD) a national qualification from Acts Council England
To achieve a Bronze Arts Award, young people collect evidence in an individual arts log or portfolio of their experiences of:
▪ actively participating in any art form
▪ at least one arts event and their review of that event
▪ researching the career and work of an artist or craftsperson
▪ passing on an arts skill
The Youth Club has enabled the DWICA to attract a diverse range of young people from multi-cultural backgrounds from marginalised community groups that would not normally have access to youth provisions. Forming new links with community groups such as the Slovak Roma group offers a potential youth exchange in the future.
Our young people developed basic life skills covering the following areas:
- Cooking on a budget sessions. – Homemade pizza, Milkshake Mayhem, cakes & fruit smoothes for Healthy Eating.
- Crazy Science. – Experiments creating a matter from solids to fluids & homemade larva lamps.
- Listening Skills. – Drawing in pairs, following instructions to music.
- Problem solving. – ‘What if Game’ social dilemma’s. Yes or No/ True or False.
- Communication Skills. – Expressing & forming opinions.
- Group Work. Construction tasks and competitions.
- Leadership skills. – Beat the Pyramid, build the house of cards.
- Research & presentation Skills. – Mohammad Ali youth lead presentations.
- Great debates. – Order of importance: 10 pictures refugee to president, discuss why?
- Social & Global issues. – Current Affairs in the media & celebrity world.
- Internet Safety. – Social media & perceptions.
- Mental Health issues. – Feelings and moods & feel good factors.
- Bullying. – School experiences, support networks and assertiveness.